Job Description: Lead Steward
Status: Part Time/Hourly
The primary purpose of the position is ensuring the kitchen is clean, well-maintained and organized at all times. The Lead Steward will maintain a proper level of inventory with a high standard of cleanliness according to the sanitation code. Leads and manages the stewarding and dishwashing team at Ramekins, General’s Daughter and other offsite properties.
This position is responsible for controlling food and beverage equipment and expendable inventories; maintaining and ensuring spotless, sanitary condition of all food and beverage storage, preparation, service areas and materials including china, glassware, silverware, cookware, equipment and serving utensils. The Lead Steward confers with the Logistics Manager concerning proper pack outs and inventory of Front/Back of house needs for food service for events. Leads and delegates proper cleaning and stowage of all dishes, pots, utensils, silverware, and cooking equipment from onsite and offsite events.
Responsibilities and Duties (included but not limited to the following):
• Communicates with Logistics Manager to obtain/provide information regarding current status of daily activities/functions and upcoming events.
• Works with the Executive Chef to maintain Steward Department staffing levels to optimize performance and upkeep of the assets within the business.
• Ensures maintenance of all food and beverage areas and service equipment to the highest level of sanitation and quality to the best of your professional ability.
• Ensures upkeep and storage of our moving equipment (trucks, dolly, etc.) and aids in the proper training of employees utilizing those tools.
• Works under the Logistics Manager to coordinate communication with the Production Team ensuring all equipment and rentals are organized and staged for onsite and offsite events. Then confirms that those items are accounted for and returned at the conclusion of events.
• Supervises and engages in the organization, loading and unloading of vehicles.
• Responsible for coordinating work of stewards and dishwashers to complete post-event tasks including restocking equipment and cleaning work areas.
• Assists the Logistics Manager in organizing equipment for all offsite Ramekins properties including kitchen equipment and front of the house equipment (IE: Cornerstone and Tyge William Barn dishes, tables, chairs, etc.). Maintains the same quality standards of organization and storage found onsite at Ramekins.
• Inspects kitchens, storerooms and equipment for cleanliness and order.
• Facilitates taking inventory of supplies, implements methods for improving efficiency and guards against theft and waste.
• Assists the kitchen/catering staff as needed during events.
• Other duties as assigned.
This is a part-time position, 20-30 hours per week, with variable day and evening shifts based on event schedule. Saturday and Sunday availability required during high season. Shifts are typically 8 hours.
Education level: High School Diploma or equivalent
Experience: Food service or hotel experience preferred
License: Valid Class C California Driver’s License and clean DMV record
Certification: Valid Food Handlers Permit (ServSafe Certification)
Physical abilities: Physically energetic and able to stay on your feet for extended periods. Able to lift up to 50 lbs (case of wine). Walk on uneven surfaces. Work in outdoor spaces with exposure to extreme weather conditions.
• Effective leadership, organizational and communication skills
• Promotes and applies teamwork skills at all times
• Is polite, friendly, and helpful to guests, management and fellow employees
• Arrive on time and demonstrate effective time management
• Ability to read, understand and complete checklists
• Bi-lingual, English/Spanish verbal and some written skills strongly preferred
• Complies with required safety regulations and procedures
• Complies with company standards, policies and rules
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer